Are you interested in developing the ships of the future?
SINTEF is one of Europe's largest independent research institutions. For over 70 years, we have contributed to growth, innovation and solutions for our customers and for society. Together with our customers, we work each day to create societal benefits and spark competition. The UN's sustainability goals guide the work at SINTEF, and our vision is technology for a better society.
The key to many of our time's greatest challenges lies in the ocean. SINTEF Ocean is developing the future's ocean-based industries within the areas of food, energy, environment and transportation. We currently have an open position as a researcher in the field of marine hydrodynamics.
SINTEF Ocean has significant research activity within the field of marine hydrodynamics. This research activity is aimed at multiple industries, both nationally and internationally: offshore wind, oil and gas, maritime, aquaculture and various coastal constructions. The department participates in multiple large research centres, while also completing projects in close collaboration with industry actors. Our research is centred around analyses and reports, laboratory experiments and the development of software for analyses and simulations. One of our strengths is that we can combine the use of laboratory experiments and numerical analyses, in order to give the best possible content to our customers. SINTEF Ocean runs one of the world's leading laboratory environments for the advanced testing of ships and ocean constructions. Together with NTNU, we are working on the establishment of Ocean Space Centre, which will be our future research centre.
Tasks for this position will be within one or more of the following areas:
- Laboratory testing - SINTEF Ocean has performed various model tests in our laboratories since 1939. We have a high activity level and perform advanced model tests with various ship concepts for maritime transportation, offshore wind, aquaculture and oil and gas.
- Further development of our experimental services. SINTEF Ocean is currently a world leader in hybrid testing, where we simultaneously combine model testing and numerical simulation tools. Further, we continuously work to automate parts of our laboratory services and participate in the development of the hydrodynamic laboratories of the future as a part of the Ocean Space Centre.
- Project leadership and project development
- Perform analyses, conduct reports and conceptual studies
- Development of methods and numerical tools for simulation, design and analysis. SINTEF Ocean develops software as a deliverable for research projects and internal use, along with software that we market and sell, such as our self-developed workbench ShipX, which is aimed at analysis tools connected to maritime applications.
- Participate in designing and establishing laboratory projects, calculation projects or development projects in close collaboration with industry actors.
SINTEF is looking for candidates with the following qualifications:
- Has a master's degree, civil engineering degree or doctorate within a relevant field for ship and ocean constructions, such as hydrodynamics, construction technique, cybernetics or similar
- Has a strong interest for experimental ship hydrodynamics and is interested in the development of laboratory services for maritime applications, or in the development of analysis and simulation tools for ships
- Works well in a team and has a good work ethic
- Is curious, takes initiative and finds inspiration in discovering new solutions and answers
- Is driven and a problem solver
- Has good formulation skills in both Norwegian and English
- Is motivated by the opportunity to develop technology for a better society
What SINTEF can offer:
- A world-leading research environment with a meaningful societal application
- A dynamic working environment that values diversity and initiative
- A varied and flexible workday
- Unique opportunities for professional and personal development in an environment where the majority of researchers have doctorates
- Competitive salary with good welfare offerings
- A modern pension scheme with very good insurance benefits
If interested, please submit a concise application text, together with your CV and transcripts.