SINTEF is seeking our next generation of problem solvers
SINTEF is one of Europe’s largest independent research institutes. For more than 70 years we have helped to promote growth, innovation and technological solutions for our clients and wider society. Together with our clients, we are working ceaselessly to promote competitiveness and generate benefits for society. The UN’s Sustainable Development Goals are fundamental to the work we carry out at SINTEF. SINTEF’s vision is ‘Technology for a Better Society’.
The department and research group
Ocean Observation and Ecosystems is a research group at the department for Climate and Environment in SINTEF Ocean. Our research is focusing on characterisation and risk assessment of pollutants in the marine ecosystem and we work with a broad range of chemical and particulate pollutants across a variety of environmental and biological matrices. The interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary research group comprises a diverse range of researchers with backgrounds in analytical chemistry, ecotoxicology, microbiology, environmental chemistry, ecology, optics and bioinformatics. SINTEF Ocean are now establishing a large infrastructure for full scale marine research in Trondheimsfjorden and at the coast of Mid-Norway: The infrastructure, OceanLab/Fjordlab, includes subsea test facilities for autonomous underwater drones, a test area for autonomous vessels, a marine ecosystem observatory and test facilities for aquaculture. We are now building the organisation for this large infrastructure and search for enthusiastic co-workers with a heart for the oceans.
Main work tasks:
- Maintenance of Oceanlab/Fjordlab infrastructure and its instrumentation
- Support projects using the Oceanlab/Fjordlab infrastructure
- Support on field experiments when needed
- Available for supporting experimental activities at SINTEF Sealab when needed
- Troubleshooting, repair and maintenance of equipment and field-laboratory infrastructure
- Designing complex marine instrumentation and field experiments for research projects
- Preparation, deployment and maintenance of field sensor systems
We are looking for candidates that have
- Master's degree or equivalent covering one or more of the following topics: electronics, instrumentation, marine technology, automation
- Work experience from marine research
- Field experience from marine science / technology
- Practical experience in maintaining and developing sensor systems for marine science / technology
- Programming experience, and use of software for data collection and automation
- Experience with working at sea and handling medium size workboats (20-35 ')
- Unique opportunities for professional and personal growth
- A varied and flexible working day
- Challenging research tasks in a team of internationally renowned experts
- Well-established national and international scientific and industrial networks
- A work environment with skilful, experienced and creative colleagues, where 60 % have a PhD
- A good social climate, a large degree of autonomy
- Competitive salary with excellent benefits
- A modern pension scheme and excellent insurance arrangements.
At SINTEF we have a work culture that values initiative and a willingness to take responsibility. This also applies to your own development aims. So we are offering you unique opportunities for personal development in a research community in which 60 per cent of your colleagues have doctoral degrees. At SINTEF you can follow a professional career path as a research scientist, leading to senior research scientist and chief research scientist. As part of our team you may also choose to develop your expertise in project management or business development, or as a line manager.