However, WtE faces an array of challenges concerning process stability and energy efficiency, energy utilisation, environmental emissions (and carbon footprint), integration in future flexible energy systems, econimic aspects as well as public perception and regulative framework. SINTEF works on all those aspects both technically and at the value chain level.
We work within these areas:
- Advanced characterisation: physical and chemical properties of waste fractions
- Thermal conversion studies of waste feedstocks in various lab-scale reactors and instruments under different well-controlled conditions combined with advanced analytical equipment
- Modelling studies on ash chemistry, process optimization, system design, emissions
- On-site measurement campaigns
- Emission reductions
- Optimalisation strategies: plant operation, energy production and utilisation
- Value chain perspectives (economy, technology)
- Ash-related challenges: corrosion, slagging, fouling
The methods we use are:
- Advanced analytical tools
- Lab-scale experiments
- Modelling studies
- On-site measurements and monitoring
- Techno-economic assessment
Why choose SINTEF?
SINTEF research scientists use their extensive fundamental and applied knowledge combined with advanced tools to solve relevant industry challenges both long-term (R&D, new concepts) and current operational challenges.
Who are we doing this for?
We have assignments with Norwegian and international industry and public sector actors. We have been working in all types of projects: industrial, RCN-financed (KMB/KPN, IPN), EU.