The combustion group at SINTEF Energy Research has extensive experience within analysis, measurements, optimization and design of combustion processes. We work with users, manufacturers and authorities in order to improve combustion technology and generate new concepts and design. Our work is motivated by the need for more sustainable and efficient use of fuel resources with emissions as low as possible.
We work within these areas:
- Burners and boiler systems in industrial processes such as metallurgical, petrochemical, paper mills etc.
- Gas turbines and boilers for power production
- Burners for niche applications, e.g. tail gas burners for fuel cells
- Wood stoves and pellet stoves technology
- New materials and solutions for heat storage in residential applications
- Experiments in laboratory and pilot scale test rigs
- Advanced numerical simulations of combustion processes
Typical projects for us are:
- Competence- and innovation project for industry in cooperation with research funding agencies (The Research Council of Norway, Gassnova, Nordic Energy Research etc.)
- Development of new concepts and prototypes for industrial clients
- Improvement and optimization of existing processes
- Emissions and fuel characterization through laboratory measurements and analysis
- On-site measurements, analysis and optimization of combustion processes
- Third party assessment of combustion processes and technology
- National and international standardization on emissions measurements and legislation levels
The methods we use are:
- Laboratory investigations based on advanced emission measurements and visualization techniques with laser based methods
- Pilot scale testing in laboratory
- Measurements at client site
- Numerical simulation of combustion and fluid flow processes using a range of software such as reaction kinetic tools, Fluent commercial CFD code (computational fluid dynamics) and in-house DNS tools (detailed numerical simulation).
- Communication of research results through media, publications and conferences
Why choose SINTEF?
Based on our joint expertise we are able to combine fundamental combustion and process knowledge with practical industrial experience in order to develop new concepts and prototype. Together with large, advanced laboratories and high-level numerical simulation tools we can in collaboration with our clients contribute to improved combustion process efficiency and operability, reduced emissions as well as general knowledge increase.