The aim is to contribute to the European 20-20-20 goals by showing that it is possible to operate a distribution power system (on the Danish island of Bornholm) with more than 50 % renewable energy sources (RES) making active use of new communication technology and innovative market solutions.
The objective of the EcoGrid EU project has been to develop and demonstrate in large-scale a generally applicable real-time market concept for smart electricity distribution networks with high penetration of renewable energy sources and active user participation. The concept is based on small and medium-size distributed energy resources (DER) and flexible demand response to real-time price signals. Market-based, cost efficient and standardized solutions will be aimed for.
Several interlinking topics have been covered in the project period:
- Development and implementation of the EcoGrid EU concept covering all aspects from ICT, control systems and market design and business cases.
- Preparation for the demonstration by getting acceptance from all involved parties, recruiting and training participants and installing and testing equipment.
- Demonstration of the concept in large- scale with about 2000 participants over a course of two heating seasons.
- Contribution to the standardization process of architectures and interfaces for DER integration by drawing on results from the implementation and demonstration.
- Suggesting strategy/roadmap for replicating the results from the specific demonstration site to other regions.
- Broad and consistent dissemination of major project results to stakeholders and decision makers, both in the involved regions and on a Pan-European level.