Simpler concepts for improved value creation, lower investment costs, lower running costs and high operability & reliability are key objectives for the offshore oil and gas industry. MARINTEK shares these objectives and contributes with competence and technology.
We have worked extensively with national and international oil companies, equipment suppliers and engineering companies providing solutions for oil and gas fields worldwide. This includes areas like Gulf of Mexico, Brazil, West-Africa, South-East Asia and Australia as well as the Norwegian and North seas. Our proximity to the university environment (NTNU) assures a high scientific level.
Floating and Fixed Production Systems
The Ocean Basin Laboratory at MARINTEK is a unique facility for testing and analysing the behaviour of offshore production systems, in conjunction with the development and use of advanced numerical methods and benefiting from a professional research environment.
- Loads and motions of floating and fixed structures
- Loads and motions of risers and other connecting elements
- Capacity of anchoring and dynamic positioning systems
- Dynamic analysis of steel structures; collapse and fatigue strength assessment
- Reliability assessment of steel structures
- Operation and operability criteria in specified environments
- Loads from non-linear shallow water waves
Slender Offshore Structures
MARINTEK is at the forefront of development of advanced numerical and experimental methods for structural analysis, based on a unique combination of theoretical knowledge, extensive laboratory facilities and engineering expertise.
- Dynamic analysis of risers, umbilicals and power cables
- Stress and fatigue analysis of complex cross sections; flexible risers, umbilicals and power cables
- Full scale and component qualification testing of flexible risers, umbilicals, power cables, hoses and mooring lines.
- Static and dynamic analysis of pipelines; simulation of pipe laying, free span assessment, upheaval buckling and snaking, on-bottom stability
- Model testing and numerical analysis of vortex-induced vibrations (VIV) on deepwater risers and flowlines
- Reliability assessment of risers and pipelines
MARINTEK can verify the feasibility, planning, and control of complex marine operations.
- The positioning of surface vessels
- Forces on, and motions of, complex geometries
- Heave compensation devices
- Simulation of subsea operations and platform installations
- Procedures for berthing and departure of floating LNG terminals in shallow water
Production Facility Operations
High operability and safety at minimum lifetime cost are always our main objectives.
- Operation scenarios and logistic support systems
- Technical performance
- Condition monitoring
- Maintenance strategy development and implementation
- Maintenance optimisation
- Maintenance management
- Management of ageing and life extension
- Change management
- Information and communication technology
Laboratory facilities and field services
- Ocean basin
- Towing tanks
- Cavitation tunnel
- Energy-/machinery laboratory
- Marine structures laboratory
- Technical measurements on power converters, drive trains
- Technical measurements on structures, dynamic systems
- Technical measurements on process systems
- Emissions measurement, quantification and documentation (VOC, CO2, NOx, SOx)
- Communication system performance and optimization