During construction of tunnels, caverns, mines and other underground openings, it is important to utilize the rock it self as construction material. The rock mass has a certain amount of self-supporting capacity, it may be impermeable, act as a water leakage barrier, and it is also enclosed by natural rock stress and its property of thermal capacity keeps the heat or cold inside the rock opening. Proper design makes the self supporting capacity a cost-effective construction method.
Through 30 years SINTEF has been an initiative-taker in Norwegian tunnelling. And in close cooperation with the Norwegian University of Science and Technology we can offer our experience and competence to make your project good and cost-effective.
Some typical examples of what SINTEF can offer you:
- Numerical modelling with several advanced models (2D and 3D). Typical range of applications are simulation of rock stress and deformations close to cooled gas storages, stability of weak zones, dimensions of pillars in mines etc.
- Counselling of underground works pre and after excavation
- Rock stress measurements. Very important in large caverns, pressure shafts and underground mining.
- Laboratory investigations of rock mechanical properties
- Counselling and development of investigation methods
- Independent quality assurance and third part reviewing of feasibility studies
Contact research manager Eivind Grøv