SINTEF's international activities
SINTEF has played an important role in the development of Norwegian society since the Second World War, and has generated knowledge and technology aimed at meeting major national challenges. Today, we realise that the experience we have gained can also benefit other parts of the world. We wish to utilise our competence to develop societies at both national and international level.
- In Namibia, we are helping to ensure that people with disabilities are given practical mobility aids and a more meaningful life, by enabling disabled people themselves to repair and use old wheelchairs from Norway.
- In New York, USA, Norwegian mining and tunneling experience is being adopted as the city’s infrastructure is due for development - below ground level.
- In the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, we are involved in building networks between a newly revived industrial sector and university groups that have a need for new thinking. The aim is that these two sectors should get together to create growth and development in their own country.
- In Brazil , we are commited to environmetally responsible oil and gas activity by integrating marine biology to simulation tools that can predict the impact of the O&G activities on the environment, and thereby support decisions for minimazing this impact.
- In Europe, we are helping to develop efficient, profitable seaborne and inland waterway transport systems to relieve stresses on an already overloaded highway network.
In SINTEF we wish to contribute to the creation of technology for a better society also beyond the borders of Norway, via an even stronger future involvement international research. We intend to concentrate especially on fields in which we have particularly high levels of expertise, such as oil and gas, energy and the environment, materials science and marine technology. But we believe that we can also make significant contributions in such areas as fisheries and aquaculture, medical technology and chemistry.
The map shows some of SINTEF's international activity.