Our work is in the following fields:
- The detailed modelling of hydropower production systems. This is a prerequisite for the accurate representation of supply-side costs in the various markets.
- Stochastic programming that facilitates an accurate representation of the market sequence and the information database on which market decisions are based.
We typically carry out the following types of project:
- The modelling of reserve demand using the Grid Simulation Model. This is a fundamental power system model that enables simulation of both the electrical power system and reserve supply and prices
- The supply of long- and short-term production planning tools in which spot market trading is optimised under the condition that agreed reserve obligations have been met
- The development of functionality for the combined optimisation of spot market and reserve trading for long-term production planning (as part of the current research project "Integrating Balancing Markets in Hydropower Scheduling Methods")
- The development of functionality for spot market bidding and short-term production planning taking into account the opportunity for trading in other short-term reserve and electrical power markets (as part of the current research project "Day-Ahead Bidding in Multiple Short-Term Markets")
Why choose SINTEF?
SINTEF is recognised both in Norway and internationally as a leader in the development of decision support tools for hydropower production planning. We have accumulated many decades of experience in the development of models – carried out in close consultation with players in the electricity sector. SINTEF's short-term production planning tool (SHOP) and long-term power system modelling tool (the Grid Simulation Model) are both used by producers responsible for about 80% of Norwegian electricity production.
Who are our clients?
- Norwegian and international hydropower producers
- Nordic transmission system operators and regulators
- The sector organisation Energy Norway
- Energy sector consultants