Focus on monitoring and coping with control valve problems is caused by several conditions including:
- Increased degree of automation means less attention to each individual valve and more types of tasks for the operator
- Increased degree of remote operation
- Development of instrumentation and IT systems gives a considerably larger amount of process data
- Stiction in control valves for e.g. level and pressure loops may lead to lower regularity and reduced production
- Internal leakage reduces the production
Important operating problems such as hysteresis caused by stiction in control valves and a badly tuned controller, give special oscillating signals in logged data.
Based on data analysis (e.g. tools for analysis of control loop performance (CPM)) and simulator models, we map problems and give advice regarding monitoring tools, tuning of controllers, improved control structures or valve characteristics, and maintenance.
Contact person at SINTEF Applied Cybernetics: Finn Are Michelsen