SINTEF Energy Research has participated in several CEDREN projects, using its expertise related to reservoirs. Studies of physical conditions in reservoirs consist of investigations into various parameters such as water temperature, water stratification, ice cover and water-covered area. Investigations are based on field measurements, data analysis and the construction of 2D and 3D numerical models. Data analysis facilitates the study of the physical processes taking place in a reservoir, while numerical simulations facilitate the study of new and potential hydropower generation patterns.
We are currently working in the following fields:
- Physical conditions in reservoirs (ice cover, water temperature, water-covered area)
- Generation of hydropower in relation to environmental requirements
- Numerical modelling of reservoirs (2D and 3D)
- Minimum water flow and physical conditions in rivers downstream of hydropower infrastructure
We typically carry out the following types of project:
- Studies and proposals for win-win solutions relating to both hydropower generation and the environment in reservoirs and rivers downstream of hydropower infrastructure
- Simulation of hydropower operating patterns and studies of the impact on the environment in reservoirs and rivers downstream of hydropower infrastructure
- Impact assessment of environmental impacts related to the renewal of hydropower licences
Why choose SINTEF?
We are unique in Norway in offering expertise in several fields: numerical modelling of physical conditions in reservoirs, environmental design in regulated rivers and reservoirs, production and planning of hydropower projects.
Who are our clients?
- Hydropower generating companies
- The Norwegian Environment Agency
- The Norwegian Water Resources and Energy DirectorateNFR
Our expertise is associated with