The development of large offshore wind farms far from the mainland is challenging the limits of current cable, HVAC transmission and HVDC converter technologies. This situation demands reliable, low-maintenance systems that are less reliant on costly offshore converter platforms.
Our expertise and services
SINTEF has worked with the connection of wind farms to grids since the 1990s, and has been involved in a large number of relevant research and development projects, both in Norway and overseas. Our expertise covers most aspects of this field, including the use of detailed modelling of high frequency phenomena in order to assess harmonics and resonances, transient stability analyses, the reliable operation and control of HVDC systems, and offshore grid design taking inter-area power exchange into account.
Modelling and numerical analyses are complemented by laboratory experiments carried out in our excellent laboratory facilities.
Projects / research fields
- Offshore grid layout optimisation
- DC grids
- HVDC systems
- Subsea HVAC transmission
- Electrical design for wind farms
- Grid codes
- Resonances in collection grids
- Power system integration
- Integration with offshore loads
- On-going activities in NOWITECH, BestPaths, ProOfGrids, Relipe, IRPwind
- On-going bilateral projects with clients
- Related activities as part of recently completed EU FP7 projects (HiPRwind, DeepWind, EERA-DTOC and Twenties), and the Norwegian-funded projects OPE and EM Transients
This is a part of our expertise on Offshore wind